Friday 9 February 2018

9th February: Sant Teliau

February 9th - Sant Teliau (aka Teilo, Telo, Theleau, Eliud, Eliau, and Eilliau!)

Teliau was born at Penalun/Penally, near Tenby in Pembrokeshire, around the year 500, the son of Issel, and uncle of Ismael and Euddogwy (all Welsh saints). Some sources claim he was the grandson of Ceredig, son of Cunedda, and thus a member of the royal family of Gwynedd. He is also reputed to be a cousin, friend and disciple of St. David.

In the 540s, when the yellow plague was affecting Britain, Teliau and a group of his monks moved to Brittany, and are reported to have stayed here for seven years and seven months. During this time they travelled through the region, were entertained by King Geraint, and joined Samson of Dol at Dol-de-Bretage (near St. Malo). The orchards there are known as the Groves of Teilo and Samson. Teliau subsequently returned to Llandeilo Fawr (in Wales) and succeeded Dubricius as Bishop of Llandaff. He died in 560, and his tomb is at Llandaff Cathedral. Relics are also venerated at Landeleau and Plogonnac (Finistere).

Teliau is often represented in Breton churches, including that at Carnoet, riding a stag, the animal which, for the Celts, symbolises life after death.


The Deer's Cry
(aka St. Patrick's Breastplate)

I arise today through the strength of heaven,
light of sun, radiance of moon,
splendour of fire, speed of lightning,
swiftness of wind, depth of the sea,
stability of earth, firmness of rock.

I arise today through God's strength to pilot me,
God's eye to look before me,
God's wisdom to guide me,
God's way to lie before me,
God's shield to protect me
from all who shall wish me ill,
afar and a-near, alone and in a multitude,
against every cruel, merciless power
that may oppose my body and soul.

Christ with me, Christ before me,
Christ behind me, Christ in me,
Christ beneath me, Christ above me,
Christ on my right, Christ on my left,
Christ when I lie down, Christ when I sit down,
Christ when I arise, Christ to shield me,
Christ in the heart of everyone who thinks of me
Christ in the mouth of everyone who speaks of me.

Thus I arise today.

No comments:

Post a Comment